Hello Tea Lovers,
Hope you are having a great TEA time.🙂 I have discovered something NEW (atleast for me), on my journey of exploring different types of Tea and Snacks that the World is enjoying. And here is where i share it with you. As we know Tea boasts of its existence in the pages of history for almost 5000 years now. Over the years people have learnt about consuming this magical plant in different ways. The Traditions and Customs have also been Knitted by different Tea consuming countries, which revolve around TEA.
I came across a Japanese Tale which introduced me to the custom of having TAIYAKI and Green Tea. Taiyaki is a Japanese Fish shaped cake. It is said that Taiyaki was first baked by a sweet shop Naniwaya in Azabu, Tokyo in 1909. Today you can find Taiyaki, all over Japan, specially in its Supermarkets and Food Festivals.
Mini Taiyaki and Green Tea as served in Tokyo
Taiyaki is a fishe shaped filled pancake but ironically it does not have anything to do with Fish. I do wonder what is the significance of fish shape. Do enlighten me if you know. :) It tastes wonders with TEA.
Well, how do you make one ? So here it is :
Taiyaki is made from the regular Pancake or Waffle Batter. The traditional filling is that of Anko and Pasta. Anko is sweet azuki (Red Beans) paste which is often used to make Japanese sweets. Some People do make it interesting by changing the filling to Chocolate, Cheese and Custard. Yummmm….
A female making Taiyaki with different Fillings. Yummm !!!
I would like to share with you, The Recipe of Taiyaki with Anko filling🙂
The Recipe for Anko :
- Red Beans 1+1/2 cups (300 grams)
- Sugar 1+1/2 cups (300 grams)
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Rinse the beans in a colander. Place them in a large bowl with a plenty of water to cover the beans. Let them soak for 3 to 8 hours.
(1) Drain and place the beans in a deep pot with a plenty of water to cover the Beans. Bring it to a boil. You will see a lot of foams forming on the surface. Put the beans in a colander and rinse them well with running water to remove foams. Clean the pot and fill with fresh water, place the beans back in a pot and bring it to a boil.
(2) Repeat step (1). This time after rinsing the Beans, add 1300cc water( 5 + 2/3 cups) and bring it to a boil again. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beans become so tender that you can break it with your tongue. (Be careful not to burn your tongue.) Add a little water as necessary. Stir more frequently toward the end.
(3) When the beans are completely soft add 1+1/2 cups (300 grams) Sugar and 1/2 teaspoon Salt. Simmer at low without a lid, stirring very frequently until the mixture becomes somewhat thick.
Anko – The sweet Red Beans Paste
And now, Here I Present to you the Recipe of TAIYAKI with Anko filling :
The simple TAIYAKI Mold
The Electrical Taiyaki Mold
Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder, and Cornstarch and Set them aside.
Beat together the Eggs, Honey, if using, and Sugar till frothy and to it add the Flour mixture and Water. Whip till smooth.
Preheat a Taiyaki-ki and brush it/ Greece it lightly with oil. Pour in a small amount of batter to the preheated pan, add a tablespoon of anko and more batter as necessary to fill in the details. Close and latch the pan.
Turn the heat to medium low and cook about 30 seconds then turn the pan over. Heat evenly for a minute and turn again. Repeat. The taiyaki are done when you can easily open the iron and the taiyaki are a golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately with Green Tea. Makes about 12 Taiyaki.
Taiyaki – The Perfect Japanese Sweet
TAIYAKI ON YOUR FINGERS
A Family gathering or a small get together with Friends serves the perfect occasion of serving the Best Green Tea with Taiyaki. Show off your skills in Japanese Cuisine😛
Hey Friends, do share with me all the interesting TEA Traditions you come across. It is always great to learn something new about this Magical Plant which just denies to fade away with passing time. I simply adore my TEA. Don’t You ?
Keep having a TEAlicious Time Friends.🙂
P. S : You can Share with me your Recipes and Pictures of your TAIYAKI or any such wonderful Snacks that you make only on my website WWW.J9TEA.COM.